Monday, March 16, 2009

Éireann go Brách!

Ah yes, 'tis St. Pat's Day (she said with her best brogue)...and I am indeed wearin' a bit 'o the green, don't ya know (excuse me, my Irish lilt is showing)

Anyway...

I am actually Irish on both sides of my family, as well as Welsh & Scottish on my mother's side and Dutch on my father's, with a few other things tossed in for good measure in small doses. Obviously I look like I come from some sort of Celtic or Germanic ancestry, certainly, as do my children...though in true American melting pot style our last name is very clearly Latino since my husband is partially of Spanish descent. My kid's can lay claim to both St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo :)


The green cable knit sweater came from Kohls, the blue blouse underneath from NY&Co. The jeans are Target as are the brown short boots -- might be the last time for short boots till next fall, too, the weather is still chilly but it seems time to put away the winter duds :)


We'll be chowing down on some delish Irish inspired treats to celebrate. Have a great day, Éireann go Brách and I'll leave you with this Celtic blessing...


Wishing you a rainbow
For sunlight after showers—
Miles and miles of Irish smiles
For golden happy hours—
Shamrocks at your doorway
For luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through!


PS: as an after thought, here's one of my own old poems, Celtic in nature:

Brighid's Song

You are the cauldron and it’s hearthstone home
Both water and wellspring from whence it’s drawn
You arethe seed, the bloom, the fruited vine
A hopeful sharpened plow, the waiting fallow field
You are the green shaft of grain and the nourishing dark loaf
The Smith’s glowing forge and malleable iron both
A swift pointed arrow and the unknowing mark it seeks
The pen, the unsung words, the terrible white page, still blank
You are the candle and the flame it bravely bears
You are the mirror gazed upon…and the reflection seen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all-time favorite color combos: Bright green and electric blue. Love it on you, you gorgeous lass!

La Belette Rouge said...

It is so nice to see you looking so gorgeously Gaelic. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

Thank you for hearing your beautiful poem. I am delighted to read more of your writing. I am hungry for more, even hungrier than I am for corned beef.

Cathryn said...

With a name like Kayleigh, you have to be Irish! Although I am sad your parents didn't spell it Céilidh.

Thanks for the information on thrombophilia. I didn't word my difficulties well in the original post. It's not that my blood clots quickly. The phlebotomists sometimes have trouble with my veins. If the needle isn't positioned correctly, my blood won't flow fast enough. If I haven't filled the bag in the standard 15 minutes, they have to toss it, because it will have coagulated.

Mervat said...

Happy St. Pat's day to you. The blue and green are stunning on you.

Kayleigh said...

Sal, thanks so much, this is one of my fave combos too :)

La Belette, thank you! And you are too kind, that poem is a dusty old thing but it did fit the vibe of the day, lol.

Cat -- well how relieved am I!!! When I read your post I thought, OMG, this girl needs bloodwork, STAT. You are welcome, I am just glad you have no need of my info :D

Mervat, thank you so much...and a Happy St. Pat's Day to you as well!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Hillary said...

Gorgeous colors on you!

Kayleigh said...

Thanks Hillary :D

The Clever Pup said...

This colour combo really suits you. You crack me up with your posing because it's so similar to me taking my picture in the mirror for my Profile.

I'm a SAHM - I didn't know what that meant at first - and we are a similar body type. Rock on. I'm 46.